Monday, May 4, 2009

Scadoxus - the new bloomer

My scadoxus bulb has rebloomed for this season.This bulb blooms only once a year, at the beginning of the rainy season here. It went dormant around last Jan and woke up late March. But it took a long time to grow the first leaf, in fact, the first leaf would form but it was after the flower stalk appears that I could the leaf. This photo was taken last year and you could see the flower stalk at the base of the unfolded leaf.My bulb took 10 days for the flower stalk to reach blooming stage. When I left Dangiatrang last week, the flower stalk was about 2 cm tall but today when I'm back, the bloom has already opened. After the bloom fades, my plant will continue to grow about 5-7 leaves, which are large and resemble corn leaves, except they're much shorter.
Although scadoxus blooms only once a year and bears no scent, it's a cheerful sight to behold, isn't it?

No comments: