Friday, April 16, 2010

Update on my succulent plantings

It has been several months since I last posted about my succulent plantings. We have been through the dry season and my succulent plants seemed to have halted growing.
This morning, it rained lightly - the very first rain of the wet season, perhaps. And here are some photos of my plants.
The "fountain" still looks good, though the "water" in the pool is "low".




Other mini-landscapes are looking fine. Most plants have turned reddish due to the sun.








Although I've learnt that succulents don't like it wet, I have found my plants grow better when it rains. Amazing!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hello Ha Xuan! It is marvellous to see your collection of succulents. I like your vase shape pot with those succulents growing downwards like grapes - so lovely! Your arrangements are awesome - neat job!

I have planned for a succulent dish garden for this year - at least something new for my garden :-D To get started, I hope to find one dish that I like and affordable soon. Btw, did you use perlite or vermiculate?

Hà Xuân said...

Stephanie: I planted all my succulent dish in a gritty mix small pine bark chips + small size crushed granite in the ratio of 1-1. I normally left my dish gardens outside, enjoying the sunshine as well as the rain.
Perlite is good to use but often it will float to the surface. Also, it isn't available in VN.
I've learnt, however, that vermiculite holds too much moisture and is not good for succulents.

Kris said...

Your succulent plantings are lovely miniature gardens, each unique and inviting to contemplate. You have quite the knack for paring one with another! :-D

Hà Xuân said...

Thanks, Kris. All learnt from people on GW.

James Missier said...

I really admire the first picture -
donkey's tail. Mine is slowly dying, though I had replanted it but they don't seemed to do so well like before.

Love all your succulent plants.

Stephanie said...

Opps... now I think I used too much vermiculate then. I have tried an experiment with mixture of perlite, vermiculate and small stone/pebbles since I bought them already. The ratio used, 1:2:3. Will see how. Pine bark chips... good idea!:-D